Converting Residency to Initial Applicant ESA

This application is for those Educational Staff Associates (ESA) who hold or have held a Residency ESA School Social Worker Certificate and must convert to an Initial ESA Certificate under current standards.


  • Hold or have held an Initial or Residency ESA School Social Worker Certificate issued under previous standards
  • Master's degree in social work. Must submit official transcripts showing degree, unless already on file
  • Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required, if a valid certificate is not already on record


If you have all necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, login to: E-Certification

*IMPORTANT: Please note that application fees are NOT refundable. Ensure that you select and submit the correct application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact our office.