OSPI’s Website Address Change

We are excited to announce an important update regarding our website URL. As part of our ongoing efforts to improve functionality and increase internet security, we are changing our current URL from k12.wa.us to ospi.k12.wa.us. Read more about this change and its impact

  • Facebook
  • OSPI on Twitter
  • Instagram Icon
  • OSPI Medium
  • OSPI LinkedIn
  • OSPI YouTube
  • Subscribe to OSPI GovDelivery

You are here

Home » Certification » Teachers » Already Washington Certified Educators » Converting Initial to Residency Teaching Certificate

Converting Initial to Residency Teaching Certificate

This application is for those educators who do not meet renewal requirements for an Initial Certificate and wish to hold a current and active certificate.


  • Must have qualified for an Initial Certificate or a Provisional Certificate
  • Must not have held a Continuing or Professional Certificate
  • The certificate currently or previously held may be valid or expired
  • Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required, if a valid certificate is not already on record


If you have all necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, please contact the Certification Office so that we can provide you with the appropriate application, as the application is not available through E-Certification.

*IMPORTANT: Please note that application fees are NOT refundable. Ensure that you select and submit the correct application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact our office.