Course-Based Dual Credit

2023-24 Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (RSEVF)

SHB 1316 has increased the combined AAFTE limit from 1.2 to 1.4. Please utilitze the 2023-24 Running Start Enrollment Verification Form for 2023-24 Running Start students.

CHS Eligibility Update

HB 1302 (2021) allows students to earn college credit by passing CHS courses beginning in the 9th grade. The changes took effect in the 2021-22 school year. It also updated what information about CHS programs needs to be shared with students/families. See the original bill for more information.

Dual Credit

Tim McClain

Dual Credit Program Supervisor

In course-based dual credit (also called concurrent enrollment), a student enrolls in a class that has the potential to earn both high school and college credit. Course-based dual credit classes can be offered at the college (Running Start) or at the high school (College in the High School and Career and Technical Education Dual Credit).

Running Start

Running Start is intended to provide students a program option consisting of attendance at certain higher education institutions and the simultaneous earning of high school and college/university credit. Running Start was initiated by the Legislature as a component of the 1990 parent and student Learning by Choice Law.

Students in grades 11 and 12 can take college courses at Washington's community and technical colleges, Central Washington University, Eastern Washington University, Northwest Indian College, and Washington State University.

Access Running Start updates and forms for the current school year in the program details below.

Running Start Program Details

Running Start students and their families do not pay tuition for Running Start courses, but they may need to pay college fees and buy their books, as well as provide their own transportation. Students receive both high school and college credit for passing these classes and, therefore, can accelerate their progress by completing specific credit requirements for high school graduation and course requirements for a technical certification or associate’s degree.

The ability to access Running Start is subject only to minimal eligibility and procedural requirements, which are spelled out in state administrative rules. See RCW 28A.600.310 for more detailed information.

1.40 FTE Limitation

Reimbursement Rates

School Year

Non-vocational Rate

Vocational Rate

2023-24 $9,555.02 $10,463.80
2022-23 $9,341.94 $10,284.31
2021-22 $8,726.20 $9,718.57




Start a Program

Community and Technical College Running Start Contact Info, WA Public Baccalaureate Running Start Contact Info

Contact your local college to learn more about the courses they offer through Running Start.

If you are a parent or student interested in getting started, check out our How to Enroll In Running Start Guide.

The RSEVF (linked under "1.40 FTE Limitation") is required for each student participating in Running Start. The form must be completed with high school staff and provided each term to any college where the student is participating in the program.

Frequently Asked Questions

Running Start FAQ

Tuition Assistance

Students who qualify for free and reduced-price lunch may receive tuition and fee waivers from the college. Please contact the college’s Running Start coordinator to see if you qualify for these waivers.

College in the High School (CHS)

College in the High School courses are college-level courses taught by high school teachers in the high school and available in 9th through 12th grade. Colleges partner with high schools to approve teachers and ensure course content, outcomes, and rigor are comparable to those of the corresponding college course. Students have the option of earning college credit while completing these courses or taking them for high school credit only. Pursuant to SSB 5048 and beginning in the 2023-24 school year, all public school students enrolling in CHS for postsecondary credit through approved public colleges or universities may do so at no cost.

College in the High School Program Details

Find out which colleges offer CHS programs.

Approved colleges for the 2024-25 school year

Start a CHS Program

Program Essentials for School

National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnership (NACEP) Launching & Managing Concurrent Enrollment: A District/High School Guide

Community and Technical College Contact Information

Washington Public Baccalaureate Contact Information

Frequently Asked Questions

College in High School FAQ

Career & Technical Education (CTE) Dual Credit

CTE Dual Credit courses are taught at the high school by high school teachers and are approved by colleges that partner with the high school. High schools and colleges enter into articulation agreements that ensure courses taken align with college programs, prepare students for careers and/or postsecondary education, and can lead to college credit. These courses fall within a career pathway and can move a student towards completion of a certificate or degree in that field.

Career and Technical Education Dual Credit Program Details

CTE Statewide Course Equivalencies

See which high school CTE courses match with college subjects

CTE Essentials

Everything you need to know for students, teachers, and business

Start a CTE Program

Program of Study, Career Clusters, and Career Pathways

Steps for establishing a new CTE program

OSPI CTE Webpage

Find everything you need related to CTE programming

Professional Development

What does it take to teach CTE courses?