Smarter Balanced Tools for Teachers
Tools for Teachers contains classroom activities, lessons, and professional development resources to help enhance instruction and support learning by helping educators implement the formative assessment process in their classrooms.
Tools for Teachers also contains Connections Playlists that provide instructional next steps based on interim assessment results. A demonstration on how to use and navigate Tools for Teachers is available on the Smarter Balanced channel.
Tools for Teachers Resources
- Are aligned to college- and career-ready expectations in the English Language Arts K–12 Learning Standards and the Mathematics K–12 Learning Standards
- Are contributed by educators for educators
- Support the implementation of formative assessment practices to improve teaching and learning
- Include ideas, activities, and lessons, such as interim assessment Connections Playlists, that can be infused into classroom instruction
- Provide educator professional development opportunities
- Washington Educators' Access
Public school district and ESD employees can access Tools for Teachers via the WCAP Portal using their existing TIDE account. If assistance is needed, contact your District Assessment Coordinator (DAC). DACs may email Assessment Analysts for technical help with educator access.
- State Network of Educators (SNE)
Educators in the SNE:
- Collaborate with educators from across the Smarter Balanced consortium
- Create and review Tools for Teachers resources at in-person workshops
- Provide feedback to help guide enhancements
- Participate in online professional learning
- Support other educators using Tools for Teachers
- Formative Assessment Process
Formative assessment is a deliberate process used by teachers and students during instruction to provide ongoing, actionable feedback to improve student success.
The four attributes are:
- Clarify Intended Learning
- Elicit Evidence
- Interpret Evidence
- Act on Evidence
Learn more from the Smarter Balanced Formative Assessment Process Overview.
- Why Should I use Tools for Teachers?
- Provide instructional next steps for educators
- are vetted by multiple reviewers based on quality criteria
- include professional learning modules on formative assessment processes and assessment literacy