• Facebook
  • OSPI on Twitter
  • Instagram Icon
  • OSPI Medium
  • OSPI LinkedIn
  • OSPI YouTube
  • Subscribe to OSPI GovDelivery

You are here

Home » Educator Support » Continuing Education Clock Hours » Educator Clock Hour Information

Educator Clock Hour Information


  • Clock hours are units of credit assigned to educators at a professional development/training event
  • Clock hours are accrued by Washington State educators toward continuing education requirements in the state of Washington
  • Clock Hour rules are available online at Chapter 181-85 WAC
  • Washington requires that the Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB) approve providers of continuing education for educators. Approval of agencies as providers of clock hours occurs annually. Please review the approved provider list.

Clock hours are for educators in the State of Washington who want to earn continuing education. They can use them for salary advancement or to renew their teacher's certificate. If you are in doubt as to what kind you have, you should contact your Certification Specialist at your ESD or talk to your School District's Human Resources Department for information.

  • Individuals should check with the agency or organization sponsoring the course or refer to the provider list on the website.
  • Only the agency offering the course knows whether it has gone through the internal process of having any particular workshop or course approved for clock hours
  • Any advertisements or literature should be clearly marked as a "Washington State Clock Hour Provider". Please double check.
  • Most out-of-state organizations have not been approved to offer state of Washington clock hours
  • Many organizations offer contact hours, continuing education units (CEUs), or similar credit. Individuals need to check carefully that they are being offered clock hours--not contact hours, CEUs, or similar credit. Contact hours, CEUs, etc., CANNOT be accepted as clock hours. Only state of Washington approved clock hours can be used toward certification renewal

Yes, one quarter hour of college credit is the equivalent of 10 clock hours, and one semester hour of college credit is the equivalent of 15 clock hours

Yes. Continuing education units (CEUs) from accredited colleges or universities are accepted as clock hours, whether in-state or out-of-state. Professional Development Units (PDUs), STARS hours (issued by Washington State DCYF), and hours used to renew Department of Health (DOH) licenses will be accepted as clock hours (all educators, not just educational staff associates (ESAs), can use hours that satisfy the DOH licensure requirements as clock hours for continuing education).

  • To renew a valid certificate clock hours or credits must be earned since the certificate was issued.
  • To renew an expired certificate, clock hours must be earned in the five years immediately preceding the application submission for renewal.

No, any hours completed during that renewal period will maintain all continuing certificates regardless of issuance date on the second or third certificate

  • No
  • Continuing & Professional - Individuals who hold a valid certificate issued by the National Board may use that certificate in lieu of completion of the 100 clock hours needed for maintenance

  • Approved clock hours forms, grade slips, or transcripts are given to the individual by the clock hour provider after the course
  • Individuals are responsible for maintaining of their own records the course must be logged into the E-Cert record prior to certificate renewal
  • Courses must be added to the educator's record prior to submitting certificate renewal

  • No, courses must be approved prior to the start date by an approved provider
  • To ensure you receive clock hours, verify with the Professional Certification Office that the provider is approved before you register for any course

  • The clock hours needed for renewal are added to the Professional Development (PD) section of the educator's record. This can be done at any time prior to submitting the application for renewal
  • Professional Certification may audit the reports and request the individuals who are audited to submit their records
  • You don't have to submit forms unless certification has lapsed

  • If your current certificate is within 5 years of expiration, you may apply for renewal of your certificate.

The certificate lapses, and is no longer valid, additional steps will be required

Submit an application for reinstatement or renewal of an expired certificate, which includes presenting evidence of having completed the 100 clock hour requirement within the five years prior to the date of applying for reinstatement or renewal

  • Yes
  • WAC 392-121-280 requires districts to document eligible credits on an official transcript or letter from the institution granting the credits or performing the in-service training
  • Districts will accept Form SPI 1125 "In-service Provider Verification" if providers sign Section IV

There are three acceptable forms of documentation:

  • Pre-Approved Agency/District In-Service Transcript Providers
  • OSPI in-service registration form
  • Payment voucher issued by North Central Educational Service District (ESD 171)