Private Homeschooling Organizations
These network organizations are able to provide more information about practice and resources that meet Home-Based Learning requirements as well as successfully educate your students.
Washington state law recognizes the desire of some parents and families to seek a home-based instruction (HBI) for their children. OSPI offers technical assistance to school districts that are working with parents seeking to exercise this educational right.
RCW 28A.200.010(1) states that each person whose child is receiving home-based instruction under RCW 28A.225.010(4) must file annually a signed declaration of intent that he or she is planning to cause his or her child to receive home-based instruction. The declaration is to be filed by September 15 of the school year or within two weeks of the beginning of any public school quarter, trimester, or semester with:
- The superintendent of the public school district within which the parent resides, or
- The superintendent of a nonresident public school district that accepts the transfer, in which case, the student is considered a transfer student of the nonresident district.
The Pink Book: Washington State Laws Regulating Home-Based Instruction
This provides some greater explanation and frequently asked questions around home-based instruction.
The State Board of Education list of approved standardized tests.
These tests qualify for the annual assessment required of students in home-based instruction.
Laws & Regulations
- RCW 28A.200
- RCW 28A.225.010 (4) and (5)
- Washington State's Laws Regulating Home-Based Instruction "Pink Book"
- A-1 Request for Part-Time Attendance or Ancillary Services
- A-2 Declaration of Intent to Provide Home-Based Instruction
HBI Annual Reports
Each school year, school district administrators are asked to complete the Home-Based Student Annual Report to identify the number of students whose parent or guardian has filed declarations of intent to provide home-based instruction for the current school year. This data is used to maintain student enrollment statistics and project enrollment statistics and trends.