National Board Candidate and NBCT Clock Hours
Candidates and NBCTs are eligible for clock hours based upon their participation in the National Board Certification process. Salary advancement based on clock hour accumulation and deadlines for accepting documentation is determined by the employer. Clock hour records are retained for 7 years - clock hours cannot be issued retroactively.
WAC 181-85-033 provides "activity based" clock hours per component submission and to renewing NBCTs. Individuals are eligible for clock hours according to the policy in place when they first submitted a National Board component. Clock hours are for initial submissions and cannot be applied to component or MOC retakes.
For candidates whose first component submission was in 2017 or earlier:
OSPI awards up to 90 clock hours to National Board candidates and teachers. These are offered in two allotments.
- 45 clock hours to National Board candidates upon 'completion' of the National Board process. This includes submission of components 2-4 and the assessment for component 1.
- 45 clock hours upon certification.
- Use form 1128-2
For candidates whose first component submission was in 2018 or later:
OSPI awards up to 200 clock hours to National Board candidates and teachers for initial submission of the portfolio components and content knowledge assessment.
- 50 clock hours per complete component submission; up to 200 total for completion of all four components.
- Use form 1128-3
For NBCTs who completed 10-year renewal in 2018 or later:
- 200 clock hours for National Board Renewal candidates upon submission of the complete Profile of Professional Growth.
- Use form 1128-R
For NBCTs who completed 5-year Maintenance of Certification (MOC):
- 100 clock hours for National Board Maintenance of Certification (MOC) upon complete submission.
- Use form 1128-M
NOTE: “Activity-based” clock hours are available upon submission. Candidates and NBCTs may apply these clock hours toward state certificate renewal at the time of submission by logging them in the “Professional Development” tab of their E-Certification profile. Candidates and NBCTs may also download the forms found on this webpage for salary advancement purposes at the time of submission. Please fill in your own information, sign, and return a copy to your employer.