Dual Language Education and Resources
In dual language programs, students in PreK-12 learn content, language and literacy in English and a partner language such as Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, or Russian. Dual language education is the most effective instructional model* for multilingual learners (MLs), native English speakers, and historically underserved student groups and is the preferred model for MLs in Washington state.
These videos provide information and perspectives on dual language education from the state superintendent, parents, students, educators, and administrators.
- A Vision for Dual Language Education in Washington State
- Parent and Student Voice for Dual Language Education
- A Story about Dual Language with Mr. López, Wenatchee Public Schools
- Bilingual Educators: Transforming Lives through Dual Language
- The Washington State Dual Language Program Guide provides specific steps and guidance on developing and implementing effective dual language programs.
- The Dual Language Program Framework Template can be used to plan and document program policies and structures.
- Starting a Heritage Language Program provides guidance on starting a sustainable heritage language program.
- Designing and Refining Heritage Language Programs is a set of presentation slides on heritage programs.
- Dual Language Webinar Series 2023-24: Developing Strong Dual Language Programs – Monthly webinars unpack the Dual Language Program Guide.
- Visit the Webinars & Newsletters page for slides and recordings.
- 2023-24 Dual Language Leaders' PLC – School and district leaders engage in inquiry cycles around problems of practice in dual language education.
- Heritage Language Webinar Series 2023-24: Cultivating Multiliteracy through Heritage Language Programs – Monthly webinars on heritage programs.
- 2023-24 Heritage Language & Less-Commonly Taught Languages Educator PLC – Support and connections for languages other than Spanish.
- Spanish Language Standards & Instructional Resources
Spanish Language Arts & Language Development Standards
- Common Core State Standards in Language Arts and Literacy
- WIDA Spanish Language Development Framework (Marco DALE)
- Dual & Heritage Language Resources
Dual Language Resources
- Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education
- Welcoming Bilingual Learners with Disabilities into Dual Language Programs
- Dual Language Education of New Mexico (DLeNM)
- National Committee for Effective Literacy
- Washington Association for Bilingual Education
- WIDA Español
Heritage Language Resources
- National Heritage Language Resource Center - Instructional materials, professional development, and research on heritage languages and heritage language learning.
- National Language Resource Centers - Provides links to 15 other LRCs.
- Language Friendly School Network
- Washington State Seal of Biliteracy
- Bilingual Educator Development
Becoming an Educator
- Becoming a Teacher
- Conditional Scholarships for Paraeducators & Current Teachers
- Recruiting Washington Teachers/ Bilingual Educators Initiative
- Exchange and Visiting Teacher Certification