Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST)
The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) is the highest recognition for a kindergarten through 12th-grade mathematics or science teacher in the United States.
Recipients of PAEMST receive:
- A citation signed by the President of the United States.
- A paid trip for two to Washington, D.C., to attend a weeklong series of recognition events and professional development opportunities.
- Gifts from program sponsors.
- A $10,000 award from the National Science Foundation.
- A chance to build lasting partnerships with colleagues across the nation.
Nomination & Application Process
Nominations typically open in the fall/winter and close in early January. A statewide committee reviews applications in spring. Up to three teachers from each subject may be selected as state finalists. OSPI will announce state finalists in the spring. National award recipients are typically announced by the President of the United States within a year of the state selection.
Assistance for Nominees
Mentors who are former PAEMST recipients are assigned to nominees at their request. Nominees may work with their mentors as much or as little as they like. The National Science Foundation and OSPI also host applicant support webinars.