School-Based Threat Assessment
Under House Bill (HB) 1216 and RCW 28A.320.123, all Local Education Agencies (LEA) are required to have School-Based Threat Assessment Programs and teams in place. To assist in this work, Regional School Safety Centers have been established in the nine Educational Service Districts (ESD) to provide training and technical assistance for the implementation of these programs.
The assessment conducted by the School-Based Threat Assessment team may lead to a specific plan for supervision, development of an individual accountability plan, linkage to social-skill building programs, and other support systems in the community. In addition, the plan may include family/home options such as increased supervision of social media use, safety-proofing the home and removing weapons, and increasing supervision in the home. The model also reduces over-reactive responses by schools with Zero-Tolerance policies which lead to exclusionary discipline for students who are in need of support and do not pose a viable threat.
Accurate implementation of threat assessment programs helps increase support for students in need and emphasizes a supportive and healthy school climate. This helps provide a platform for students to reach out when a problem or concern exists and create a safer atmosphere for students and staff alike.
Policy & Procedure
- School District Guide to Program Fidelity and Compliance
- Bulletin B018-20: School-Based Threat Assessment Policies and Procedure Requirements
- School Based Threat Assessment Policy 3225 | Procedure 3225P
- RCW 28A.320.128: Notice and Disclosure Policies
- Notification and Dissemination of Information about Student Offenses and Notification of Threats of Violence or Harm Policy 3143 | Procedure 3143
- Improving School Safety Through Bystander Reporting: A Toolkit for Strengthening K-12 Reporting Programs
ESD Threat Assessment Coordinators
For information about Threat Assessment in your area or available trainings, please contact the Threat Assessment Coordinator in your ESD.