Early Learning Resources
OPSI is committed to inclusive, asset-based policies and practices that increase equitable access to high-quality early learning opportunities within schools and local communities. The following resources are suitable for children from birth through third grade.
The state Department of Early Learning (DEL), in partnership with OSPI and Thrive by Five Washington, published the Early Learning and Development Guidelines for children from birth through third grade. The guidelines replace the Early Learning and Development Benchmarks, which were first created to outline what children know and are able to do at different stages of their development.
This document was created for educators to support a smooth transition for students who are just beginning their formal education or who may have experienced disruptions to their early education due to COVID-19.
The Governor and legislature asked the Washington State Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF) and OSPI to align services for children ages 3 to 5, so families get what they need – when and where they need it.
Use the Funding Early Learning Activities in WA State Guide to help support improving, creating, and funding high-quality early learning activities. Included are strategies to support WA state early learning initiatives such as transition activities, inclusive classrooms, TK guidance, creating a best practice learning environment, a Braided Funding Matrix, links to resources to support the implementation of the Pyramid Model, and more.
Literacy & Learning Pathways
- Early Literacy Pathways
- Social Emotional Learning Pathways | (Spanish) | (Somali)
- Learning Pathways in Numeracy: Addressing Early Numeracy Skills | (Spanish)
- Washington State Early Learning and Development Guidelines Birth Through Third Grade
- Washington State Comprehensive Literacy Plan: Birth to Grade 12
- Washington State Full-day Kindergarten Guide
- Kindergarten Readiness and 3rd Grade Outcomes
- Considerations for Outdoor Learning
- Washington Open Educational Resources Hub