Publications and Bulletins
Resources on this page provide reference and guidance material and links for local education agencies and the public.
- Washington State Student Transportation RCWs and WACs
- Washington State School Bus Driver Handbook
- 2022 School Bus Specifications Manual
- 2019 School Bus and Traffic Safety Education Vehicle Inspection Manual
- Technical Assistance Paper No. 2 McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
- To request a copy of the 2022-23 Student Transportation Directory, please email Shellie Neuman.
- 2022–23 Student Transportation Relative Efficiency Ratings B019-23, Attach 1
- 2022–23 Student Transportation Operation Allocation - B007-23, Attach 1
- 2022-23 State Accepted Quotes for School Bus Categories - B058-22, Attach 1
- Reimbursement and Categories for School Buses, 2022-23 School Year B057-22, Attach 1
- Required Student Transportation Operations, 2022-23 School Year - B054-22, Attach 1, Attach 2
Reports & Studies
- School Walk and Bike Routes: A Guide for Planning and Improving Walk and Bike to School Options for Students
A publication developed by the Washington Traffic Safety Commission and the Washington State Department of Transportation, this guide is a valuable resource for those wishing to establish or monitor safe walking routes to and from school.
- The Relative Risks of School Travel
This 2002 study from the National Academy of Sciences is a comprehensive comparison of the risks associated with the various modes of travel to and from school. There is an excellent executive summary.
- Vans Used for School Transportation
A position paper from the National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation Services discusses the NTSB study of non-conforming vans in school transportation.
- Pupil Transportation System Security: Different Times – Added Responsibilities
A position paper from the National Association of State Directors of Student Transportation Services discusses school transportation security in the post-9/11 world. An overview provides guidance on an action plan.