Child Nutrition Grants
Child Nutrition Services (CNS) administers a variety of grant opportunities throughout the year.
All grants offered through Child Nutrition are submitted in iGrants. If you are new to writing grants, use these resources to help you submit the best possible proposal:
- The Grant Writing tip sheet,
- Grant Writing Tips Webinar, and;
- Using the iGrants System for CNS Grants training.
Applications accepted October 2022–December 6, 2022
2022–23 Funds awarded January 2023
The Washington State Legislature provided funds for school districts seeking to implement more plant-based meals in school year 2022–23. These funds will be distributed as competitive grants up to $10,000 per school district to be spent during the 2022-2023 school year. All districts interested in making more plant-based entrees, sides, and/or dairy alternatives available to students on their menu are encouraged to apply. Under this grant, plant-based foods are defined as foods that exclude eggs, dairy, meat, poultry, seafood, and animal byproducts. Preference is given to applicants whose projects incorporate scratch cooking supports, Farm to School strategies, and/or supports for culturally appropriate school meals.
- Plant Based School Meals Grant Reference Sheet
- Plant Based School Meals Grant Application Information Sheet
Applications accepted November 2022–December 29, 2022
2022–23 Funds awarded February 2023
The Washington State Legislature provides funds for annual competitive grants available to public school districts, tribal compact schools, and charter schools and focuses on:
- Starting a new meal program
- Increasing participation in an existing program
- Improving program meal quality
- Improving the equipment and facilities used in an existing program.
History of Breakfast Meals for Kids Grants Awardees
Breakfast Meals for Kids Grant Reference Sheet
- Improves food safety;
- Improves school foodservice operations efficiency;
- And improves or expands participation in the NSLP or School Breakfast Program (SBP).
History of NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant Awardees
NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant Reference Sheet
NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant Application Information Sheet
The Washington State Legislature provides funds to assist Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) sponsors:
- Add new summer meal sites;
- Increase participation;
- And improve meal quality, equipment, or small supplies used in the program.
History of Summer Meals for Kids Grants Awardees
Summer Meals for Kids Grant Scoring Matrix
WSDA Farm to School Purchasing Grant (Form Package 189)
Funds awarded January 2022
The Washington State Legislature provided $5 million in the 2021-23 state budget to make grants and expand the WSDA Farm to School program. The Farm to School Purchasing Grant is administered in partnership with the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI).
Who Can Apply: School districts, child care centers, and summer meal program operators that sponsor a USDA child nutrition program (NSLP, CACFP child care, SSO/SFSP), Tribal compact schools, and Tribal early learning centers.
Funding Levels: Grants range from $1,000 up to $300,000 based on annual meal participation rates
Visit the WSDA Farm to School Purchasing Grants webpage for Frequently Asked Questions, an application guide, and more.
Safe School Meals Grant (Form Package 170)
The Washington State Legislature provided federal funding for a non-competitive grant available to Local Education Agencies (LEAs) to support safe school meals in School Year (SY) 21–22.
Funds may be used to:
- Purchase equipment and supplies to increase the safety of school meals in SY 21–22. This includes, but is not limited to supplies or equipment to:
- Increase social distancing of students eating meals.
- Reduce touchpoints in the meal programs.
- Increase food safety.
- Increase safety in meal service.
- Training to increase the safety of school meals in SY 21–22.
- Providing outreach to students, families, and school staff, including translation services.
Safe School Meals Grant – Award Amounts
Safe School Meals Grant Reference Sheet
Summer Meals for Kids Grant 2.0 (Form Package 148)
- Start new summer meal program,
- Increase participation; and
- Improve meal quality, equipment, or small supplies used in the program.
USDA Nondiscrimination Statement | en Español | Other Languages Available