Adding an Endorsement
Scholarships are available for adding endorsements in shortage areas.
For more information, see retooling.
This information does NOT apply to CTE certificates or specialty area endorsements.
- Test ONLY
Test Only - Must pass a WEST-E/NES test for the desired endorsement. Tests from other states cannot be used to add endorsements. The endorsements eligible to be added through testing only are as follows:
- Choral Music
- Computer Science
- Earth & Space Science
- English Language Arts
- General Music
- Instrumental Music
- Middle Level Humanities
- Middle Level Mathematics
- Middle Level Science
- Social Studies
- Theatre Arts
- Visual Arts
- World Languages*
- World Languages Latin**
English Language Learners (ELL) Note: Educators who hold Bilingual Education may add ELL via Test Only.
Bilingual Education Note: Educators who hold ELL may add Bilingual Education via Test Only. Individuals will not only need to complete the WEST-E test in bilingual education but will also need to complete the ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test and the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview at the Advanced-Mid level in a world language area. ACTFL does not administer tests for Latin. For Latin, a candidate must take the new WEST-E: DWL and the WEST-E: Latin. Language Testing International(link is external)
Middle Level Humanities Note: Educators that hold a Social Studies endorsement or have taken and passed the WEST-E Social Studies exam may use those in lieu of Middle Level Humanities subtest II. Educators who hold a NBPTS Certificate in ELA: early adolescence (11-15) and ELA: adolescence and young adulthood (14-18+) are exempt from the Middle Level Humanities subtest I. Educators who hold a NBPTS Certificate in Social studies and history: early adolescence (11-15) and Social studies and history: adolescence and young adulthood (14-18+) are exempt from the Middle Level Humanities subtest II.
Sciences Note: Educators must hold Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, or Physics before adding the General Science endorsement via Test Only.
World Languages Note*: In addition to the designated world languages WEST-E test above, applicants must complete the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) and Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) in the specific world language, scoring Advanced-Low or higher. Please visit ACTFL at Language Testing International
World Languages Latin Note**: ACTFL does not administer test for Latin. For the Latin world language endorsement, a candidate must take the new WEST-E: DWL and the WEST-E: Latin exam. Language Testing International
WEST-E/NES test information and registration is available online.
- Test Only - Complete required testing and submit APPLICATION online through your E-Certification account.
- Program + Test
Consult with your college/university for advice on requirements. Methods, field experience/internship, and subject matter credit hour requirements* are as follows:
- Methods course(s). Certificated teachers are required to complete related methods coursework in the desired endorsement area.
- Field experience/internship. For at least one endorsement area, certificated teachers are required to complete a supervised practicum which includes teaching in the specific endorsement area. For additional endorsement areas, the college will determine whether to require a field experience/internship, and the extent of that internship
- Complete appropriate content area testing. The WEST-E/NES
The endorsements eligible to be added through program + testing are as follows:
- Bilingual Education*
- Business & Marketing
- Deaf Education
- Deaf Education with American Sign Language (ASL) Proficiency
- Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Special Education
- Elementary Education
- English Language Learner*
- Family Consumer Sciences
- Library Media
- Special Education
- Technology Education
- Traffic Safety
*Individuals who hold ELL or Bilingual may add the other endorsement via testing only.
Bilingual Education Note: Individuals will not only need to complete the WEST-E test in bilingual education but will also need to complete the ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test and the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview at the Advanced-Mid level in a world language area. ACTFL does not administer tests for Latin. For Latin, a candidate must take the new WEST-E: DWL and the WEST-E: Latin. Language Testing International(link is external)
- In-state program: Follow instructions of your college/university. The college/university will submit verification of program completion to OSPI for you
- Out-of-state program: Complete program, testing, form 1522E, and submit APPLICATION through your E-Certification account
Your out-of-state institution must complete the Institutional Verification of Endorsement Program Completion and Character form (1522E). You must include the completed form when you apply for the additional endorsement.
Note: The deaf education endorsement requires one or more of the following, in addition to meeting the content knowledge assessment requirement:
- Completion of a state-approved program in deaf education; or
- Completion of a program in deaf education approved by the council on education of the deaf; or
- Baccalaureate degree or higher in deaf education from a program approved by the council on education of the deaf under RCW 28A.410.225.
Note: Applicants for the deaf education with ASL proficiency endorsement must meet requirements for the deaf education endorsement in addition to the deaf education with ASL proficiency content knowledge assessment requirement.
- National Boards
The subject area or grade level indicated on the National Board certificate must be comparable to one of the Washington endorsement areas. (See National Boards Exemption)
Process: Submit APPLICATION through your E-Certification account.
Certain endorsements may be added by means of migration to align previously-issued endorsements with current standards. (See migration chart.)