Attendance Awareness Materials
As we all continue to recover and reengage after the COVID pandemic, we have the opportunity to raise awareness of the benefits and importance of attendance for student success and engagement. We can do this through positive and supportive messaging for students, families, communities, and educators. The toolkits on this page will help you to support students and families to attend and engage with your attendance awareness campaigns!
- 2022 Washington Attendance Awareness Toolkit
September is Attendance Awareness Month! OSPI & the Educational Service District (ESD) network developed this Washington Attendance Awareness Toolkit for school districts to adapt for their communities.
- Find ready to post Social Media Messages for students, families, school and district staff, and communities.
Use these editable templates to adapt for your school or community. Add your logo and use photos of your students and community.
- Attendance Awareness Poster Template
- Attendance Awareness Badge Template
- Attendance Awareness Logo/Banner Template
- Attendance Letter Template provides parents with the information about attendance required by law in RCW28A.225.005
- Winter & Holiday Attendance Awareness Letter
Local Highlights in Washington
- 2023 Attendance Works Attendance Awareness Campaign
Attendance Works supports national Attendance Awareness Campaign each year. Find additional messaging, resources, and toolkits on the Attendance Works campaign website.
- Attendance Works: Count Us In! Toolkit 2023 offers messaging and positive engagement strategies, key concepts and tools to help educators awareness about why showing up to school matters and also to build the universal positive conditions for learning (using the 3 tiers of intervention) that motivate all students to attend school.
- 2023 Attendance Works Key Campaign Messages are for everyone (districts, schools, preschools, health providers, public agencies, community organizations, faith-based institutions, elected officials, businesses, and families) to rally their school communities to support students and families in order to improve attendance, connection, and achievement.
- Attendance Works: Showing Up Matters for R.E.A.L. Toolkit provides suggested messaging to students, parents, and caregivers that demonstrate why attendance at school is important.
- Attendance Works Holiday Messaging provides letters for school teachers hoping to encourage good attendance around winter holidays.
- Year Long Attendance Messaging Planning Tools
- Video & Message Recordings
Public Service Announcement Videos
The Seattle Sounders, Rave Foundation, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, and the Office of the Governor have teamed up to record two Public Service Announcements. Check them out:
Attendance Message Recordings
Seattle Seahawks Tyler Lockett
Seattle Sounders Cristian Roldan
Seattle Sounders Nicolas Lodeiro (Spanish)
- Holiday Messaging
The holiday season is a time when student absences can increase. Find some template messaging to support positive messaging to students and families during this time. This is a great opportunity to plan for when students return to school after the break and including students in this planning!
Winter Holiday Messaging
Ideas and Resources
- Supporting Children and Teens During This Season | The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Share resources with students and families
- Options for back-to-school attendance awareness
- Revisit Attendance Works Tool-Kit
- Involve student leadership and groups
- Allow for them to come up with hashtags or themes
- Theme days
- Celebrate students, families, and communities
- DCYF Parent Celebration
- Family engagement night
- Goals/New Year's Resolutions
- Utilize beginning of school attendance awareness
- Student peer relationships
- Positive visual reminders
- Morning welcome
The tools, ideas and resources on this page were developed in partnership with the ESD Attendance & Reengagement team, as part of the ESSER Attendance & Reengagement Project.