Intern Substitute Teacher Certificate Out-of-State

This application is for those educators who are completing their student teaching and their employer needs them to substitute for their mentoring teacher in their absence.

This limited certificate is not available for full certificate holders

This certificate must be initiated by an employer in Washington through the submission of a district request. Once the district request has been submitted, log into your E-Certification account to submit the application.


  • Hold a valid Pre-Residency Certificate
  • Program approval. Form 4028E

This certificate must be approved by both the institution and the sponsoring school.


This application must be initiated by your sponsoring school district. Once that has been done, login to: E-Certification

*IMPORTANT: Please note that application fees are NOT refundable. Ensure that you select and submit the correct application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact our office.