This application is for people seeking their first-tier certification for the school nurse role.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in nursing. Must submit official transcripts showing a degree.
- from a program accredited by the National League of Nursing Accreditation Commission OR
- the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Hold a valid State of Washington Registered Nurse License
- Must provide verification of one of the following:
Completing an ESA course approved by the Professional Education Standards Board (PESB). An applicant must have course completed before, or within one year after application, a 15-clock-hour or 1 semester-hour course approved by the PESB, which will include many topics related to the Educational Staff Associate (ESA) roles
Completion of any state's approved program leading to certification for the school nurse role - Form 4099
Three years of out-of-state experience in the school nurse role - Form 4020F-1
- Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required if a valid certificate is not already on record
PERMIT NOTE: Provided that an individual who meets all other requirements (fingerprinting, degree, license if required) but who has not yet verified of ESA course or out-of-state program completion or appropriate out-of-state experience shall be issued a temporary permit valid for one year allowing the individual to practice in the role. The candidate shall verify one of the three requirements (course, program, or experience) to OSPI during the one-year period.
If you have all the necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, log in to: E-Certification