School Orientation and Mobility Specialist Renewal

A School Orientation & Mobility Specialist is a highly trained expert who is responsible for teaching students who are blind, have low vision, or have functional visual limitations, the skills they need to navigate in their classroom, school, and community.

Find renewal information for Educational Staff Associates (ESA) who hold Initial or Continuing/Professional ESA Certificates. To move to a second-tier certificate, see the Upgrading to Continuing/Professional ESA web page.

Looking for a Conditional ESA Certificate for this role? Visit the Conditional ESA Certificate page for more information.



Initial ESA Renewal Requirements

The Educational Staff Associate (ESA) may apply for an Initial ESA Renewal Certificate. The Initial ESA Renewal Certificate shall be valid for five years. See below for requirements.

  • Must hold a valid Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist (COMS) Certificate from the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals (NBPCB).
  • Must attest to completion of an issues of abuse course. The coursework must include information related to identifying physical, emotional, sexual, and substance abuse; the impact on learning and behavior; the responsibilities of a teacher to report abuse or to provide assistance to victimized children; and methods of teaching about abuse and its prevention. For more information, see WAC 181-79A-200. Before applying, this course MUST be entered in the 'PD Hours' section of your E-Certification account.
  • Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required if a valid certificate is not already on record.

Reinstatement of an expired Initial ESA Certificate: 100 clock hours or equivalents must be completed within the five years immediately preceding the date of the renewal application.

Note: Educators applying to reinstate an expired Initial ESA Certificate must submit documentation of completed clock hours or equivalents to the Certification Office for review with their application.

National Certification

Educators who hold a valid National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certificate, Certificate of Clinical Competence issued by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, or National Certified School Psychologist credential issued by the National Association of School Psychologists may submit that certificate in lieu of the 100 clock hours (or equivalent) to renew their Washington educator or ESA certificate.

Clock Hours

Further clock hours earned will not start counting towards the following renewal until the next certificate's effective date.

Clock hour equivalents are allowed as follows: 1 quarter credit= 10 clock hours; 1 semester credit= 15 clock hours; 1 PGP until 6/30/2018= 30 clock hours; 1 PGP as of 7/1/2018= 25 clock hours.

Template Form 1697 PGP for Certificate Renewal

Form 1128-8: Use this form to document the completion of a Professional Growth Plan and submit it to your school district to claim clock hours and to the Certification Office if you are applying for a renewal or reinstatement of an EXPIRED certificate.

For PGP information and resources, please visit the Professional Educator Standards Board.

License Hours

Certain ESA roles are allowed to count any continuing education credits (CEUs) completed to satisfy the continuing education requirements (clock hour equivalents) for their certification renewal. Form 4098V Please see ESA Clock Hour Information for details.

General Clock Hour Information

Please note requirements are subject to change.

Please check back for information regarding Professional ESA Renewal Requirements!