Upgrading Initial to Continuing

This application is for those educators who met the requirements to upgrade from the Initial Certificate to the Continuing Certificate before the expiration of their Initial Certificate.

After 9/1/00 teachers must hold a valid Initial Certificate to apply for the Continuing Certificate. If your Initial Certificate has expired (but you met requirements for the Continuing before expiration) you can apply, with a $100 late fee.

If you did not meet requirements before the expiration of your Initial Certificate, see Conversion to Residency.


  • Must have a master's degree from an accredited college/university OR 45 quarter hours (30 semester hours) of upper division or graduate-level post baccalaureate study (coursework at the 100 level is allowed when used to obtain an endorsement)
  • 180 days of teaching experience, 30 days of which must be in one school district. Substitute teaching, out-of-state teaching, and teaching in more than one district is acceptable
  • Must attest to completion of an issues of abuse course for more information see WAC 181-79A-030(9). This course MUST be entered into the 'PD Hours' section of your E-Certification account prior to applying
  • The certificate currently or previously held may be valid or expired provided that the other requirements have been met
  • Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required, if a valid certificate is not already on record

ISSUES OF ABUSE COURSE NOTE: The issues of abuse course or course work must include information related to identification of physical, emotional, sexual, and substance abuse; the impact on learning and behavior; the responsibilities of an educator to report abuse or to provide assistance to victimized children; and methods of teaching about abuse and its prevention.


If you have all necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, please contact the Certification Office so that we can provide you with the appropriate application, as the application is not available through E-Certification.

*IMPORTANT: Please note that application fees are NOT refundable. Ensure that you select and submit the correct application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact our office.