OSPI’s Website Address Change

We are excited to announce an important update regarding our website URL. As part of our ongoing efforts to improve functionality and increase internet security, we are changing our current URL from k12.wa.us to ospi.k12.wa.us. Read more about this change and its impact

  • Facebook
  • OSPI on Twitter
  • Instagram Icon
  • OSPI Medium
  • OSPI LinkedIn
  • OSPI YouTube
  • Subscribe to OSPI GovDelivery

You are here

Home » Certification » Teachers » Already Washington Certified Educators » Transitional Teaching Certificate

Transitional Teaching Certificate

This certificate is for educators working with an employer to fill a need and whose Continuing Certificate has lapsed.

This certificate enables the educator to teach for two years while working on reinstatement of their Continuing Certificate. It is valid for two calendar years (24 months from issue) and can only be issued once in a teacher's career.

An employer must initiate this certificate in Washington through the submission of a district request. Once the district request has been submitted, log into your E-Certification account to apply.


  • Must hold an expired certificate
  • The Transitional Certificate cannot be renewed or reissued.
  • Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required if a valid certificate is not already on record

Only one Transitional Certificate may be issued to a teacher during their career for that role. If an individual holds multiple certification roles, they could qualify for a Transitional Certificate for each role.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: In May 2022, the Professional Educator Standards Board temporarily expanded the scope to allow transitional certificates to be issued for teachers, ESAs, or administrators whose certificates are subject to renewal under WAC 181-79A-240 and expire or lapse by June 30, 2022, not just holder of a Continuing certificate. 

A Transitional Certificate is issued for only 24 months.


If you have all the necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, log in to E-Certification

*IMPORTANT: Please note that application fees are NOT refundable. Ensure that you select and submit the correct application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact our office.