Upgrade from Residency to Professional
This application is for those educators who have passed ProTeach or National Boards and qualify to upgrade to the Professional Certificate OR those educators who meet the requirements below.
- Hold a certificate from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards.
- Show previous successful completion of the Professional Certificate Assessment ( ProTeach). Note: This assessment is no longer offered.
- Complete a program in another state that has been approved by the Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB) as comparable to Washington's standards. (Reciprocity Information).
- Must attest to completing an issues of abuse course for more information; see WAC 181-79A-030(9). This course MUST be entered into the 'PD Hours' section of your E-Certification account before applying
- Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required if a valid certificate is not already on record
NATIONAL BOARD CERTIFICATION NOTE: Professional Certificates issued based on holding a National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) certificate will have a validity of five years or the validity of the National Boards certificate whichever is greater.
ISSUES OF ABUSE COURSE NOTE: The issues of abuse course or course work must include information related to the identification of physical, emotional, sexual, and substance abuse; the impact on learning and behavior; the responsibilities of an educator to report abuse or to provide assistance to victimized children; and methods of teaching about abuse and its prevention.
If you have all the necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, log in to E-Certification