Professional Principal or Program Administrator
This application is for those principal and program administrator applicants who have completed a Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB) approved professional certification program for either the principal or program administrator role OR for applicants who have completed a Continuing Administrator License (CAL) program through the state of Oregon.
The professional certificate cannot be awarded to holders of CAL certificates alone. The CAL program must have been completed in order to gain the certificate in Oregon. Those administrators who were granted the CAL certificate based on completion of a doctoral program qualify for the Residency Administrator Certificate.
The Principal and Program Administrator roles are separated in the state of Washington. An educator will need to have completed a program for either of these roles individually or hold the appropriate experience for either role in order to apply for one or both of them.
- The Professional Principal Certificate is for school-level leadership as a principal, assistant principal or vice-principal
- The Professional Program Administrator Certificate is for district-level leadership roles other than superintendent or assistant superintendent roles, e.g. director level positions.
This is NOT the appropriate application for the second tier Superintendent Certificate. To find information regarding the Superintendent Certificate.
If you are unsure which application to complete based on your program or experience, please contact the Certification Office before submitting an application.
- Must meet all requirements for the Residency Administrator Certificate
- Completion of a professional administrator program approved by Washington State's Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB) (Not currently offered, must have been previously completed.)
- Completed a CAL program through the state of Oregon
- Must attest to completion of an issues of abuse course for more information see WAC 181-79A-030(9). This course MUST be entered into the 'PD Hours' section of your E-Certification account prior to applying
- Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required, if a valid certificate is not already on record
ISSUES OF ABUSE COURSE: The candidate must have taken coursework in issues of abuse, which must include information related to identification of physical, emotional, sexual, and substance abuse; the impact on learning and behavior; the responsibilities of an administrator to report abuse or to provide assistance to victimized children; and methods of teaching about abuse and its prevention.
If you have all necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, login to: E-Certification