Residency Teacher Out-of-State
This application is for those educators who have completed a teacher preparation program through an accredited institution or have held a full teaching credential in another state.
- Completion of a bachelor's degree or higher. Must submit official transcripts showing degree conferral
- Must complete a basic skills test (WEST-B or approved alternative) and pass a content area test for endorsement sought (WEST-E/NES or approved alternative). Teacher Testing Assessments
- Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required if a valid certificate is not already on record
In addition, you must complete one of the following:
- Completion of any state's approved teacher preparation program through an accredited institution Form 4020E, OR an approved alternate route program 4020E-1. The preparation program must include a defined course of study and a supervised student teaching/internship.
- Copy of an out-of-state teaching certificate (valid or expired) AND three years of out-of-state teaching experience 4020F-1.
NOTE: Foreign-Trained/Out of Country for additional required information.
Dual Endorsement Requirements Note: If you hold an Out-of-State Teaching Certificate with Bilingual Education, English Language Learner, and/or General Science, you must complete additional endorsement requirements before your Washington Teaching Certificate is issued.
If you have all the necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, log in to E-Certification