Professional Teacher Out-of-State
This application is for those educators who hold or have held a second tier certificate from an approved state, if you are National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) certified, or if you have completed the Washington ProTeach Portfolio.
- Completion of an advanced level certification from another state that has been approved by Washington's Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB).
- Hold a certificate issued by the National Boards
- Completed the Washington ProTeach Portfolio.
- Must meet all Residency Certificate requirements
- Must attest to completion of an issues of abuse course for more information see WAC 181-79A-030(9). This course MUST be entered into the 'PD Hours' section of your E-Certification account prior to applying
- Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required, if a valid certificate is not already on record
ISSUES OF ABUSE COURSE NOTE: The candidate must have taken coursework in issues of abuse, which must include information related to identification of physical, emotional, sexual, and substance abuse; the impact on learning and behavior; the responsibilities of a teacher to report abuse or to provide assistance to victimized children; and methods of teaching about abuse and its prevention.
TESTING NOTE: Teachers with valid National Boards certification or other equivalent second tier educator certifications from other states (approved by PESB) are exempt from certain testing requirements.
Dual Endorsement Note: If you hold an Out-of-State Teaching Certificate with Bilingual Education, English Language Learner, and/or General Science, you will need to complete additional endorsement requirements before your Washington Teaching Certificate is issued. Dual Endorsement Requirements
If you have all necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, login to: E-Certification