Student Discipline Task Force
In 2013 legislation passed that significantly affected student discipline laws in Washington state. The legislation created RCW 28A.600.490, which directed OSPI to convene a discipline task force to develop:
- Standard definitions for causes of student disciplinary actions taken at the discretion of the school district.
- Data collection standards for disciplinary actions that are discretionary and for disciplinary actions that result in the exclusion of a student from school.
The data collection standards must include data about:
- Education services provided while a student is subject to a disciplinary action.
- The status of petitions for readmission to the school district when a student has been excluded from school.
- Credit retrieval during a period of exclusion.
- School dropout as a result of disciplinary action.
The task force first convened from September 2013 to December 2014. With the passage of 4SHB 1541 in the 2016 legislative session, OSPI reconvened the task force to:
- Review and recommend data collection standards related to Part I of 4SHB 1541 (Disproportionality in Student Discipline).
- Provide feedback regarding the revision of student discipline rules in Chapter 392-400 WAC.
2013–14 Final Report
The task force developed standard definitions and data elements to revise the collection of student discipline data in the statewide Comprehensive Educational Data and Research System (CEDARS). In concluding their 2013–2014 body of work, the task force chose to compile their recommended revisions to CEDARS, relevant discretionary discipline issues, and related policy recommendations into a final report.
- Meeting Minutes & Agendas
Date Agendas Minutes Materials
January 10, 2017
December 6, 2016 November 7, 2016 Minutes October 10, 2016 Agenda Materials December 8, 2014 November 10, 2014 September 8, 2014 July 14, 2014 May 12, 2014 March 10, 2014 January 13, 2014 December 9, 2013 November 25, 2013 October 17, 2013 September 19, 2013
Task Force Members
Association of Washington School Principals
Commission on African American Affairs
Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs
Commission on Hispanic American Affairs
Educational Opportunity Gap Oversight and Accountability Committee
Governor's Office of Indian Affairs
K-12 Data Governance Group