We are excited to announce an important update regarding our website URL. As part of our ongoing efforts to improve functionality and increase internet security, we are changing our current URL from k12.wa.us to ospi.k12.wa.us. Read more about this change and its impact.
Citizen Complaints-Federal Programs
Citizen Complaint Process
Complaint Process Question Form
Mail Your Question
Attn: Citizen Complaint-Title I, A
Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
P.O. Box 47200
Olympia, WA 98504
A citizen complaint is a written statement that alleges a violation of a federal rule, law or regulation or state regulation that applies to a federal program. Things to check before you file a citizen complaint:
- This citizen complaint process is for Washington state's K-12 school system.
*If you live outside of Washington state, check with your state's department of education or Local Educational Agency (LEA) and ask for their complaint process.
- The complaint must address the violation of at least one of the federal programs in the list below.
- This process is not for complaints related to discrimination and professional practices.
- Complaints that allege discrimination please go to Equity and Civil Rights.
The following federal programs are part of the citizen complaint process:
- Title I, A: Closing Educational Achievement Gaps
- Title I, C: Migrant Education
- Title I, D: Institutional Education
- Title I, G: Advanced Placement
- Title II, A: Teacher & Principal Quality
- Title III: Multilingual Education Program
- Title IV, B: 21st Century Community Learning Centers
- Title V: Rural Education Achievement Program
- Title VI: Indian, Native Hawaiian, Alaska Native Education
File a Citizen Complaint
Complaint Against a School District, ESD, or Other School Service Provider (Subgrantee)
The handouts below outline the 5-step process through which a citizen can file a complaint against a school district, Educational Service District (ESD), or other school service provider (Subgrantee).
Complaint Against School District, ESD, or Other School Service Provider: English | Russian | Spanish | Vietnamese