Transitional ESA Renewal

This certificate is for Educational Staff Associates (ESA) who are working with an employer to fill a need and whose Continuing ESA Certificate has lapsed.

This certificate enables the ESA to be in the role specific to their full certification for two years while working on reinstatement of the Continuing ESA Certificate. It is valid for two calendar years only (24 months from issue) and can only be issued once in an ESA's career for an individual role.

This certificate must be initiated by an employer in the state of Washington through the submission of a district request. Once the district request has been submitted, log into your E-Certification account to apply.


  • Must hold an expired ESA Certificate
  • The Transitional ESA Certificate cannot be renewed or reissued
  • Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required if a valid certificate is not already on record

NOTE: Only one Transitional ESA Certificate may be issued to an ESA during their career for that role. If an individual holds multiple certifications or ESA roles, then they could qualify for a Transitional ESA Certificate for each role.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: In 2024, the Professional Educator Standards Board expanded the scope to allow transitional certificates to be issued for teachers, ESAs, or administrators whose certificates are subject to renewal under WAC 181-79A-240. This emergency rule applies if educators are unable to meet new renewal requirements, and temporarily expands options while The Board considers adopting this as a permanent rule.

A Transitional ESA Certificate is issued for only 24 months.


If you have all the necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, log in to E-Certification

*IMPORTANT: Please note that application fees are NOT refundable. Ensure that you select and submit the correct application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact our office.